In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

New Portland: Bridging the Past to the Future

Bridges of North New Portland

Text by Marilyn Gorman and Dianne Pease
With Images from New Portland Historical Society

The Bartlett Bridge:

The Bartlett Bridge is located on the Bog Road (Rte. 16) at the foot of the Mill Hill, or “down under the hill” as it used to be known as, near the old mill district. It is presently a two span concrete t-beam bridge constructed by the Maine State Highway commission in 1921. On a 1909 post card the old bridge appears to be mostly constructed of wood. The Concrete Bridge replaced the old bridge.

Bridge in the North Village
Bridge in the North Village

Item Contributed by
New Portland Historical Society

Cement Bridge:

The Cement Bridge is scheduled to be replaced with a new single span steel girder bridge to be completed in 2010.